Monday, August 16, 2010

Day One

Well, today is mostly done.  That is, Karley is finished.  Julia is procrastinating to get her math finished.  This morning I got up early and made a special treat, chocolate chip muffins.  Somehow even the smell of baking muffins didn’t get them out of bed.  Being the nice mom that I am, I let them get up on their own accord.  At least that was my plan until Quigley heard the neighborhood school kids walking past our house up to the school.  Then he went into wild-man mode and ran up and down the stairs protecting us all from the elementary school students.  That did it.  The girls were awake and not happy about it.  So on the fly I borrowed an idea from Julia’s former school and came up with the “on time ticket.”  That spurred Julia on to eat, get dressed, brush teeth and hair and be ready to start the day.  Karley, on the other hand, also got ready to go but when I told her that we would raffle off prizes for the on time tickets she lost it and cried and cried.  She said the raffle idea was dumb and that it would mean there would always be a loser (smart girl).  She made such a fuss that I sent her to her room and took away her on time ticket.

The tears were contagious and it wasn’t long before Julia was crying too because “math is so hard.”  Aye Aye Aye.  Luckily I’ve had a nice long break and I didn’t lose my cool.  Karley got over her “thing” on her own and recovered nicely.  Julia timed out on her math, completed her other work, and has her math to finish or no dessert (and yes that means I won’t give her a piece of my birthday cake tonight).  Whew!  Only 179 days left!!  (Just kidding)

No comments: